Sunday, November 7, 2010

Carly's Citchin'

Last month I decided to give myself a little challange for the holiday season.

Since Spencer and I absolutely LOVE Thai food I decided to learn to make it. Because this is my blog I feel I can brag and say we have pretty much mastered that over the past 8 months when I first tried it. So what's next?

Soup! I love soup a lot and with it starting to get cold, coming home and eating a bowl of soup is one of my favorite things. My challenge is to make a new soup each week. I would love to learn to master this too.

Tonight was my third week and I made my favorite so far! Dannielle requested I make Corn Chowder. I've been wanting a potato soup. SO I did a few modifications to this soup done by my favorite cooking gals at Our Best Bites.



3 Tbs butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 C flour
4 1/2 C low-fat milk
2 C chicken broth
3 Chicken Breast shredded
1 1/2 C Frozen Corn
4 medium baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds) baked
2 C grated cheddar (or sharp cheddar) cheese, divided
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper


Melt butter in a stock pot over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for 30-60 seconds until fragrant. Add flour to pan. Slowly add milk a little at a time while whisking constantly to eliminate lumps. Whisk until smooth and then add chicken broth. Bring soup just to a simmer and heat until thickened, stirring often, about 5 minutes.


Once soup is thickened, turn heat down to medium-low. Add in shredded cooked chicken. Add frozen corn. Cut potatoes in half length-wise and use a spoon to scoop out potato flesh into the pot. Use a wooden spoon to smash potatoes, breaking up large clumps. Add 1 1/2 C grated cheese and salt and pepper and stir until cheese is melted. Remove pan from heat and Add additional salt and pepper to taste.


I really enjoyed this one and Spencer went back for seconds too so thats always a good sign to me! : ) I'm excited about these leftovers this week!



If you have any favorite soup recipes you love to make send them my way! It's gunna be a Looong Winter!